About Me

My photo
Welcome to 22 Revisions - a blog documenting what I do at work and in life... I’m Sacha and I’ve been in the advertising business for 22 years. In the summer of 2008, I moved my family from Cambridge to a little city north of Toronto called Peterborough to work at an advertising agency called BrandHealth. It has been challenging and unpredictable but the most important revision I have ever made. I am definitely not the most dedicated blogger, nor the most interesting person that has blogged but I hope my sporadic blogs provide some insights into this amazing city, company, industry and people I work with...

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Identity Inspiration

Here’s a great site for logo inspiration...http://logopond.com/
You will find over 58,000 logos on this site and they will all inspire you! What makes these logos so fantabulous? Well, if I remember correctly from art school...


Basic elements that make a good logo
Here are a few elements that can be seen in every great logo:
The first on my list and the one I work the most on is... it’s appropriate and it represents the brand. The design must be appropriate for the business or service it identifies. This is accomplished through hours of research and understanding the brand, it's industry and competition.


It’s effective without colour - colour is secondary to the shape and form. I always leave colour to the end of the design process, because if the logomark doesn’t work in black only, no amount of colour will rescue it.


It’s describable and memorable or unique - because if you can’t describe what a logo looks like then how will you be able to remember it? It has to be unique to differentiate the brand from competitors.


It’s scalable i.e. works when just an inch in size - is vital for collateral, such as office stationery (pens, pins, hats etc.) — all those little things that can easily be overlooked.


Have your say
Perhaps there’s another factor that I might have forgotten... let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment