About Me

My photo
Welcome to 22 Revisions - a blog documenting what I do at work and in life... I’m Sacha and I’ve been in the advertising business for 22 years. In the summer of 2008, I moved my family from Cambridge to a little city north of Toronto called Peterborough to work at an advertising agency called BrandHealth. It has been challenging and unpredictable but the most important revision I have ever made. I am definitely not the most dedicated blogger, nor the most interesting person that has blogged but I hope my sporadic blogs provide some insights into this amazing city, company, industry and people I work with...

Monday, February 21, 2011

Business Card Design: The art of saying hello



Traditionally, business cards have been designed by graphic designers or art directors. These days everyone is taking business card design into their own hands. As a result, I’m seeing a real trend towards breaking out of the rectangular 2” x 3.5” business card mold.

Designers are pushing the boundaries creating uniquely shaped cards – rounded corners, asymmetrical shapes, square-cut and circles. If you use a reputable printer
with the latest technology, you can also make your cards stand out with special finishes, embosses and diecuts. Let’s not forget fantastic, unforgettable, touchable paper can give your card a lasting impression too. No longer are people printing on the standard 80 lb cover. I am starting to see cards printed on thick board almost an eighth of an inch thick. Stunning. Some have gone beyond paper and are printing on plastic and metals. Not easy to write on but it certainly stands out from the cookie-cutter business card.

So, you want some business card design inspiration? Below are some rectangular and not-so-rectangular business cards, in no particular order. The art of saying hello...


(Oh, apparently, the Mmm, pancakes. business cards at the very bottom has a hint of a maple syrup smell to it... seriously.)


























2 comments:

  1. I have always been a big fan of round-cornered b.cards, and it's good to see the majority of these examples have one or more. I used to think odd-sized cards wouldn't get saved because they didn't fit a b.card folder, but I suspect very few people have organizers for cards anymore.

    My favourite business card design was one punched into tin. Rounded corners of course!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to add that tin card to my collection!

    ReplyDelete