About Me

My photo
Welcome to 22 Revisions - a blog documenting what I do at work and in life... I’m Sacha and I’ve been in the advertising business for 22 years. In the summer of 2008, I moved my family from Cambridge to a little city north of Toronto called Peterborough to work at an advertising agency called BrandHealth. It has been challenging and unpredictable but the most important revision I have ever made. I am definitely not the most dedicated blogger, nor the most interesting person that has blogged but I hope my sporadic blogs provide some insights into this amazing city, company, industry and people I work with...

Monday, January 10, 2011

10 ways to tell Graeme congratulations



There are so many different achievements in life that people are proud of. They are proud of their marriage, birth of a child, new home. They are proud of a new job or a promotion - one of the favourite parts of my job is giving out promotions and recently, it was my pleasure to offer a well-deserving promotion to someone on our creative team - Graeme.

I know everyone at BrandHealth was excited for him and told him ‘congratulations’ in their own way. But, it made me realize that there are so many ways to say congratulations... and I thought I would have some fun with it.

Here’s a look at 10 ways to tell Graeme congratulations:

1 . The first thing I did was give Graeme a hug and pat on the back. I know how unimaginative but it’s still one of the most natural form of congratulations.

2. You could send him a congratulations card. Eons ago, when I had time to spare I would actually make unique creative cards for family and friends. It had a very personal touch. Now I buy cards. That works too!

3. Send him flowers. I bet Graeme likes flowers. Beneath all those tattoos there’s a sensitive guy.

4. Write him a letter or email about his accomplishments... As we do for all of our promotions we place an ad in the Examiner (see above) and send out an internal email. But, you could do something similar.

5. Buy him a round or take him out for lunch. This is a popular way of saying congratulations at BrandHealth!

6. Bake something for him. Who doesn’t love cookies and cupcakes?

7. See if you can help each other out. Sometimes the best way to congratulate someone is to see if there’s something you can do for them. Sounds crazy doesn’t it? But it’s not. You can say your congratulations by helping Graeme adapt to his new responsibilities or offer advice from your own experiences.

8. Spread the word. One thing that we don’t do enough is to tell others how proud we are of someone.

9. Facebook him! I know I often send my congratulatory wishes on Facebook, Twitter and now blogging! There is nothing wrong with that.

10. Be there to help with the change and be understanding. I personally am thankful for everyone that have been there for me for my ever changing life. And that is worth more than words.

Along with Graeme’s promotion, Val and Sarah G. from Client Services were also promoted too! Congratulations everyone!

How are you going to tell them congratulations?

No comments:

Post a Comment