About Me

My photo
Welcome to 22 Revisions - a blog documenting what I do at work and in life... I’m Sacha and I’ve been in the advertising business for 22 years. In the summer of 2008, I moved my family from Cambridge to a little city north of Toronto called Peterborough to work at an advertising agency called BrandHealth. It has been challenging and unpredictable but the most important revision I have ever made. I am definitely not the most dedicated blogger, nor the most interesting person that has blogged but I hope my sporadic blogs provide some insights into this amazing city, company, industry and people I work with...

Thursday, January 20, 2011

How to make friends and impress Creative Directors

The job search for creative positions these days is challenging. There are a lot of talented people looking for work and very few jobs. If you do get an interview you will want to make the best impression possible. My sense is - schools are not preparing students enough for the interviewing process. Yes, they guide students with their portfolios but do they teach them how to sell themselves? Do they teach them about interviewing etiquette? If you’ve been out of the job search market for a while, do you have a resource to educate you on these skills?

Having interviewed a few people over the years, I thought I would offer some suggestions of what impresses me when I’m interviewing people for a creative position at BrandHealth.

Have you researched online and looked at the work? Even before you send in your resume you should be doing this and asking yourself, “Is this the kind of company I want to work for? Is this the kind of work I want to do? Does this company need my skills?” The first question I ask in an interview is, “How much do you know about BrandHealth?” I know we are a young and small company. I don’t expect people to know a lot about us but I’m always impressed when someone can tell me at least one interesting fact and how it relates to them on a professional level.

Please don’t apologize during the interview. Prepare yourself and plan out the interview in your head. If you have to apologize for being late or disorganized or a portfolio piece being incomplete... Then you are not prepared for the interview. I might overlook lateness for legitimate reasons but I will be honest, you will have to work twice as hard during the interview to gain back my trust. There is no excuse for being disorganized. And, if you were unhappy with a piece in your portfolio, why are you showing it? Or why did you not fix it? In general, Creative Directors are not impressed with excuses.

Are you interesting to interview? I want to see your personality shine through. I want to know if you have interests outside of work. It can be anything really, it doesn’t take much to impress me in this category. Just be yourself. And, this isn’t a deal breaker when it comes to hiring. I consider it an added bonus. We want to work with interesting people. Wouldn’t you?

Do you have style? I read this somewhere months ago and I thought it sounded superficial, but I have to admit... it's true. It’s the first impression I’m going to get from meeting you. Are you presentable or does it look like you just rolled out of bed? Is your portfolio case dusty and damaged? This isn’t about being a part of the popularity club. No. I am looking for signs of effort and thought put into your interview from your resume submission to your appearance, to your portfolio, to your presentation style. Step back and take a look at yourself. What’s your style?

Are you a GOOD PERSON WHO GETS IT? What I mean by this is, I’m looking for someone who naturally possess similar values to our company and who’s skill set adds value to our existing team.

Last but not least... Do you have a killer portfolio? The definition of ‘killer portfolio’ is different for every agency. What I might admire or be looking for could be completely different for another agency or design studio. My only advice is to create a portfolio that maximizes your skills, one that you are proud of and one that will leave a lasting impression.

Hope that helps and good luck! 

2 comments:

  1. Mike brings this up in conversations here and there that while I was being interviewed, I was asking him more questions then he was to me. haha
    I was that interested in his career and the company to let him interview me! Obviously he did, but showing that you've done your research on not only the company's portfolio, but how the company got to where it is, really shows how much you want a position. It's a bit of a "kiss ass" but if you're really interested in a job, you should be interested in everything about the company that might be putting food on your plate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Portfolio case? Who had a hardcopy portfolio, even in 2011? There's no dust on the internet, just bad typefaces.

    ReplyDelete