About Me

My photo
Welcome to 22 Revisions - a blog documenting what I do at work and in life... I’m Sacha and I’ve been in the advertising business for 22 years. In the summer of 2008, I moved my family from Cambridge to a little city north of Toronto called Peterborough to work at an advertising agency called BrandHealth. It has been challenging and unpredictable but the most important revision I have ever made. I am definitely not the most dedicated blogger, nor the most interesting person that has blogged but I hope my sporadic blogs provide some insights into this amazing city, company, industry and people I work with...

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

How to get an interview

If you’ve applied for a creative position at BrandHealth and haven’t heard back, please do not take it personally, it doesn’t mean that you aren’t talented or that we don’t respect your skills. It’s probably because your style or skill set might not fit with what we’re looking for at the moment. If you are thinking about applying to BrandHealth please do! We are always on the look out for GOOD PEOPLE WHO GET IT and it could be you!

How should you apply?

As impersonal as it might sound, your best bet at getting your foot through the door is submitting your application to
careers@brandhealth.ca. Along with your resume please submit a cover letter and samples of your work. (Samples of your work could mean an attached pdf or a link to a website or blog of your portfolio).

I review and evaluate every single creative application that is sent into BrandHealth and there are three things that I look for.

  1. Do you seem like a GOOD PERSON WHO GETS IT. And what I mean by that is does your cover letter and resume show me a bit of your personality, values, interests, knowledge for this business and the company.
  2. Are your creative samples well designed and have a unique creative style? Show us what you are most proud of. Too often I see a creative dump of everything a person has worked on – the good, the bad and the ugly. You are not going to impress me with volume at this point. I want to see what you enjoy doing and what you excel at doing.
  3. What value can you bring to BrandHealth? Finally, I evaluate the whole package: your personality, your style, your skill set and ask – How can you make our team stronger?
Make a good impression on these three levels and... you’re going to get an interview.

I keep all applications on file and will review them periodically if a need arises. You might not get an immediate response but I’ve been known to pull up an application that was submitted a year ago and find the perfect fit!

No comments:

Post a Comment